We’ve been talking about Follow-Up and Follow-Through, two skills that can set you apart in the business world and help you see your Big Idea reach reality.
What can you do to strengthen your own abilities to Follow-Up and Follow-Through? Here are three sets of activities you can start today!
Activity 1: Boost your Motivation
Schedule a session to create a customized motivation system for yourself.
- List all of the goals that you are truly committed to achieving.
- For each goal, write the reward that you will personally gain by achieving that goal. Be sure that it has a powerful appeal for you.
- Choose a symbol or other visual representation of the reward you will gain for each goal. Make this representation as colorful and tangible as possible.
For example, if it’s a financial goal, make a mock check made out to yourself in the amount that motivates you. If it’s a prize, get a picture of the prize. If it’s time off, use a picture of the people or places that you’d like to spend your time off with.
- Put a brief printed explanation of the requirements for getting the reward on the symbol or picture.
For example, for a reward trip to Hawaii, put a note at the bottom of the picture that says, “$20,000 in sales by Dec. 31st.”
Position these reward symbols where you will see them every day — at your desk, in your car or on the spot where you set your car keys at night. Be creative!
Activity 2: Get Organized
Create a central location for your goals and commitments. Use it as a repository of ideas that can support your efforts. It might be:
- An app on your mobile device
- A program on your computer or a cool website
- Features on your email account
- Even an old-fashioned notebook. Go retro!
As helpful ideas occur to you, put them in writing. When you hear a successful person suggest a best practice that you could use, jot it down. If you read an informative article with useful ideas, copy and send it to yourself. Use your regularly scheduled organizational time to transfer those ideas to a to-do list system for each commitment.
Activity 3: Anticipate and Automate
Anticipate the regular follow-up and follow-through activities that are required for your business. Automate the process as much as possible.
- Create a step-by-step list of follow-up activities.
- Plan a logical timeline.
- Use this as a checklist to schedule follow-up actions for each goal or client you plan to follow-through with.
- Identify written communications that can be replicated, re-using them as a template each time you reach that same step in the process. Modify them as needed to personalize them to the client. This saves time and lends consistency to your actions.
- Schedule automated reminders to ensure you initiate regular follow-up activities on schedule.
What are you waiting for? This can be fun! And very fruitful. Get these activities going today!
Next time we’ll look at how you can apply your skills in specific settings. Don’t forget to follow up with this blog to learn more!